Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chapter 5: A Collection of Times

Thursday:

You know that joke in the movie Eurotrip where Scotty wakes up and says, “I'm never drinking again,”? Yeah, that was me Friday morning.

Saturday:

I had a lovely quiet Saturday this week. I went to bed Friday night (after watching my friends drink A LOT of Shake Shake at Linga Longa) with Toy Story 2 on my computer and woke up comfortably late on Saturday to finish it up. Then I had a leisurely shower in my own building for once, and headed across campus to Batsi's. I should probably mention here that last weekend I left my precious sunglasses at the Baharutshe Cultural Lodge and Batsi informed me that sadly they were not found after we left. Sad, sad, sad Erica. Later, however, Batsi happily texted me that the sunglasses had been found and that he had them in his office and I should come and collect them before noon on Saturday. I did, and then I decided to try out the Botswana version of a pasty- so good! I am officially addicted.

After that late breakfast I met up with some friends and we headed to Riverwalk to catch a combi to one of our fellow CIEE-ers rugby match. By the time we got to Riverwalk I just wasn't feeling doing a long hot combi ride and then sitting in the sun all day, which was quite brutal by then. Instead I just did a solo tour of Riverwalk and intended to run some errands. What I ended up doing was stumbling upon a great weekend craft market! There were a bunch of booths set up selling all manner of traditional African crafts; jewelry, art, paintings, woven bowls, bag, statues, and other paraphenalia. I went round to each one and bargained my way into buying three pairs of earrings, one sweet garden ornament for Ma and Pa, a wax-painting cloth, and a jewelry tree in the shape of a Baobab tree made out of wire and banana leaves. I think that this Baobab jewelry tree is going down in my life history as one of the coolest items I have ever had the pleasure of purchasing. I can't wait to go back next weekend and buy more presents for people!...and for me of course, hee hee hee.

Saturday Night:

Since Saturday August 20th was Matt's 25th birthday we arranged for me to skype into his party so that I could "attend". I woke up (by myself, no alarm involved) at 4.00 am Botswana time and got online. I "stayed" at the party for a good hour and a half and watched my drunk friends and boyfriend have what seemed to be a really good time. Matt opened his present from me- nicely wrapped and delivered by Miss Emily Morrison-Weeks- and then another present from the same Emily and Scary. I left the party to go to bed, but I hoped it continued to be a good time. Will find out later when I talk to Matt!





No comments:

Post a Comment