Thursday, November 17, 2011

This Time for Africa

Thanks for the title, Shakira. I decided to do a little post about actual Africa, not just a list of my daily activities. When I think of Botswana, this is what comes to mind:


Smell: Dust, sweat, animals, meaty- gameyness, cement, wood, car exhaust, Russian roles cooking in the sun.


Sound: Babble, shrieks, cars, cow bells, goats, wind, birds.


Sight: Dust, dark-skinned people, cows, goats, chickens, dogs, cats, birds, cars, slippers, yellow berries, cow dung, street vendors.


Touch: Dust, sweat, stone, wood, fur, grease.


Places: UB, Riverwalk, Mochudi, dusty roads, Mokolodi.

In addition, here is a link to the Shakira video Waka Waka (This Time for Africa). When I first saw this video back in the States I thought, 'Damn, Shakira is hot, but I'm sure everybody in Africa thinks this song/video is dumb.' Here's the thing- they don't! South Africans especially love it. Having been privileged enough to travel to South Africa a few times it captures the vibe pretty well. I saw one of the FIFA World Cup stadiums in Durban. It was pretty fantastic. Anyway, watch the video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRpeEdMmmQ0

No comments:

Post a Comment