Sunday, July 10, 2011

Final Vaccination

I finally got my Yellow Fever vaccination, and I am currently working my way through my oral Typhoid vaccination. That's all that I have left, apart from the medications for things like malaria that I just have to take when I am in a malaria zone. Gaborone, luckily, is not one of these zones as it is in the dry and dusty Kalahari desert area. Yellow Fever is also not an issue there, but if one were to leave Botswana and not have had the vaccine then they would not be able to get back into the country. Since I am entering Botswana from South Africa, and since I will be so close to the South African border I thought it would be a good idea to get the vaccine. It is one of those vaccines that people only get for a certain reason and only certain clinics have it, so you must let them know ahead of time that you want it so that they have time to prepare. Then, when you are all primed and ready for the shot in the little room, they have you read a happy packet all about the dangers associated with the vaccine. Did you know that 1 in 250,000 people who get it will have organ failure? And over 50% of those with the organ failure will die. The more you know, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment